My pastor recently preached a sermon entitled, “Decline of the American Church.” In his sermon, he gave alarming statistics about the church. I would like to share with you some of these statistics. Warning: This is heartbreaking.
America is the third largest unchurched nation under India and China.
- 2.6 million professing Christians have left the church in the last decade.
- 3500 are leaving daily.
- There is an 80% decline in churches.
- 37% of the church membership show up for church.
- 10% show up on Sunday nights.
- 85% of teenagers leave church after graduating high school.
- 47% of 18-34 year olds have no church affiliation.
97% of Christians will never lead anyone to Christ.
- 1 in 1000 teenagers will come to know Jesus Christ as their Savior. I remember 20 years ago it was 1 in 10.
- 50% of the contributions come from the World War II generation.
- 1.3% of their children tithe.
- less that 1% of their grandchildren tithe.
- The church will loose 50% of their contributions in the next ten years.
- 50% of the men sitting in church are addicted to pornography.
- 1/3 of the pastors have a sex addiction.
- 50% of the pastors admit to visiting pornography web sites.
- Pornography is the #1 addiction in the church.
- 1409 of the fastest growing churches in the last year report no baptisms.
Very little statistics show a difference between Christians and non-Christians. What does the Bible tell us we should be as Christians? Here are the points of his sermon.
- As Christians, we are to pray. “And when they had prayed, the place where they had gathered together was shaken, and they were all filled with the Holy spirit and began to speak the word of God with boldness.” Acts 4:31
- As Christians, we are to be spiritually committed. “For there was not a needy person among them, for all who were owners of land or houses would sell them and bring the proceeds of the sales.” Acts 4:34
- As Christians, we are to be spiritually compassionate. (See verse 34)
- As Christians, we are to be spiritually clean. God wants His church to be holy. “A carnal church produces a carnal spirit.”
I was so sad to hear these statistics but at the same time it also reminded me to look at myself.
“Search me, O God and know my heart; Try me and know my anxieties (thoughts); And see if there is any wicked way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting.” Psalm 139: 23-24
- Am I a complainer instead of being thankful?
- Do I worry instead of trusting God?
- Are my thoughts evil toward others when they wrong me?
- Do I show kindness to all people even when they are not kind to me?
- Do I have a sharp tongue that hurts others around me?
- Am I trying to do my best in whatever job I am doing as unto the Lord?
- Do I spend time with the Lord or put things ahead of Him?
Maybe this week you will want to pray Psalm 139:23-24 asking Him to show you any wicked way in you. This is not enjoyable but is often times needed to have a closer relationship with our Heavenly Father. Please pray for our churches, pastors and for our country.